Friday, November 21, 2014

Blog post #1

Blog 1



The media has a way of greatly influencing our actions. The first time I have ever heard of shingles it was in a commercial and it scared me as a viewer but informed me as I had no idea what this illness was. It is a bit humorous how people become more and more aware of certain things after being exposed to it and more aware than before the exposure. After hearing about the virus, I had a close family member who experienced it soon after. Shingles, according to the Mayo Clinic is a viral infection that causes a person to breakout in a rash. The cause of shingles is the same as chicken pox which is a virus known as varicella-zoster. This lies dormant in a person after they have had the chicken pox near the spinal cord and brain until it is active and appears as the shingles virus. From knowing people who have personally experience having this illness I can say that it is very painful and without a trip to your doctor or the emergency room, there is very little that can be done to eliminate the symptoms and the effects of shingles. There is a sense of relief knowing what shingles is and being educated on what can be done if this illness ever appears in my life. Knowledge of this will lead many people to better help themselves when experiencing shingles.


No comments:

Post a Comment